blank'/> Broughton Sports Update: Soccer: Caps Earn Shutout at Wake Forest

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Soccer: Caps Earn Shutout at Wake Forest

An aggressive Caps team scored a decisive 3-0 road win over Wake Forest Wednesday night to kick off the second half of the conference season.

Broughton's Matt Brickhouse got the scoring started 15 minutes into the game when he finished off a crossing pass from Ibrahim Mohamud. The Caps pressured Wake Forest throughout the first half, with Ike Drooz just missing on a shot off a corner kick with about eight minutes to go in the half.

Frankie Stallings
Keeper Trey Morton made a save on a Wake Forest shot in the final minute of the first half, which ended with the Caps up 1-0.

Broughton continued to play aggressively as the second half began, and took a 2-0 lead when Drooz slid the ball into the goal after the Wake Forest keeper failed to stop the breakaway. Brickhouse assisted on the goal.

Wake Forest picked up its intensity midway through the second half, but the Broughton defense rose to the challenge. Defenders Brooks Nichols, Ben Youngblood, Jack Krueger and Hyu A played tough, with Hyu making a nice save with about 13 minutes to go in the game.

Keeper Frankie Stallings made a diving save with about 11 minutes to go in the game - the first of several saves by Stallings as Wake Forest frantically tried to get on the scoreboard. A Wake Forest player was given a yellow card after running into Stallings as he grabbed a shot, and Stallings made another diving save with six minutes left in the game.

Hyu A
Broughton scored its third goal when a free kick by Chris Vlahoplus into a scrum in front of the goal bounced off the Caps' Rosendo Sierra-Flores and into the net with five minutes left in the game.

It was the second shutout of the night for Broughton, as the junior varsity team won 4-0.

The Caps return home Monday night for a game against Leesville. Come out and support the team as it looks to build on recent wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment