blank'/> Broughton Sports Update: Soccer: Caps win heady game at Millbrook

Monday, September 15, 2014

Soccer: Caps win heady game at Millbrook

The Caps got off to a quick start Monday night, scoring less than a minute into the game, and then held on for a 3-2 win on the road at Millbrook.

Matt Brickhouse
Senior Matt Brickhouse got the scoring started 47 seconds into the game when he finished off a shot by senior Chris Vlahoplus that bounced off the crossbar to the foot of the goal. The score came at the end of a sequence of passes that began when Vlahoplus sent a ball wide to junior Ibrahim Mohamud, who crossed it back into the center to Vlahoplus.

Broughton took a 2-0 lead nearly midway through the half when Brickhouse lofted a long throw-in into the box that was headed by junior Elvis Wiredu to senior Brandon Gettinger, who headed the ball into the goal.

But Millbrook fought back, slotting a header into the goal off a corner kick about 10 minutes later. At halftime, Broughton was up 2-1.

Those were just the beginning of key plays involving players' heads, as Wiredu just missed the goal wide on a header off another long throw-in by Brickhouse about 12 minutes into the second half. A few minutes later, Broughton keeper Frankie Stallings made a leaping save with his head as he raced a Millbrook player to a ball outside the box.

Broughton then took a 3-1 lead a couple of minutes later when Brickhouse - you guessed it - headed in a cross from Wiredu.

Brandon Gettinger
The Caps were unable to convert several other scoring chances over the next several minutes, giving Millbrook the chance to close the gap when it scored with about four minutes remaining in the game to make the final score 3-2 in favor of Broughton.

Earlier, Broughton's junior varsity team lost 1-2 to Millbrook.

The Caps next game is a home contest on Wednesday against Sanderson. Encourage your friends and family to come out to provide a great home crowd as the Caps look to keep their winning streak going.

No comments:

Post a Comment