blank'/> Broughton Sports Update: Caps Clobber Cougars

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Caps Clobber Cougars

Benjamin McCord, Ibrahim Mohamud, Jack Nickens. A striker between a pair of keepers.

A shooting gallery. That's what it was last night as the Broughton men's soccer team fired 39 shots on the way to a 3-0 victory over the Wake Forest Cougars in a match where the outcome was never in doubt. The Caps hit the crossbar three times, the Cougars' keeper made some spectacular saves, and the Broughton attack was relentless, but it only led to three goals, all of them by senior Ibrahim Mohamud. Jack Nickens and Benjamin McCord shared keeper duties for the Caps, jointly earning the clean sheet.

Broughton nearly got on the board in the 9th minute when Elvis Wiredu's shot from distance plunked off the crossbar. Wiredu had a number of opportunities, but he was unable to score (including a second shot on the crossbar in the 50th minute). However, Wiredu drew multiple defenders, creating opportunities for the Broughton attackers. Mohamud took advantage of the space when he scored in the 18th minute on a nifty assist from Grant Tyler. Six minutes later, Wiredu delivered a perfect pass to Mohamud, who put the Caps up 2-1. Broughton outshot Wake Forest 18-8 in the first half, but Wake Forest actually had a couple of opportunities, with Nickens making a handful of strong saves.

The second half was a different story for the Cougars, as the Broughton defense clamped down. Wake Forest didn't get a single shot off until right at the final whistle, on a long distance attempt that was routinely saved by McCord. The Caps got off 21 shots, but were only able to convert on one, a penalty by Mohamud after he was taken down in the box in the 46th minute. Mohamud's goal was his 13th of the season, drawing him within one goal of team leader, Elvis Wiredu (don't look behind you, Elvis, as Ibrahim has 5 goals in the last 2 matches!).

The play got a little chippy at times in the second half as the overmatched Wake Forest team became more physical, piling up fouls and yellow cards. The Caps maintained their composure (shout out to Joe Ruslander who stayed cool in spite of being on the receiving end of a number of overly enthusiastic fouls) and dominated the match.

The Caps improved to 5-2 in the Cap 8, tied for first place, and are 9-5 overall. Their next match is tonight, Thursday, at 6:30 at Broughton against Enloe. It's Alumni Night, so come out and cheer on the Caps and welcome soccer legends returning to their field of glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment