blank'/> Broughton Sports Update: Caps Stun Enloe With Last Second PK

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Caps Stun Enloe With Last Second PK

On the surface, sports teams are easy to judge. You look at how many games are won, how many are lost, and then you compare it the competition. You win more games, you are deemed to be a better team. But what is often not quantified in the win-loss columns is heart, spirit and a desire to not give up.

Goal scorers Ibrahim Mohamud and Lucas Beeson
The Broughton men's soccer team has heart and courage and a willingness to keep grinding it out, even when the game is extended to 100 minutes. And even when it had to play a man down for 80 of those minutes. And when this relentless spirit results in a win, well, one can just stand and applaud.

Here's the facts. After starting out strongly against visiting Enloe, the Eagles caught the Broughton defense out of position. The Enloe winger fired a cross into the box, Broughton defender Bryant O'Neal tried to block it, and it went directly into the Caps' net. Own goal. Enlo 1, Broughton 0. Things got worse just four minutes later when Broughton co-captain and leading scorer Elvis Wiredu was sent off in the 20th minute, with a straight red card after his reckless bicycle kick after the whistle in the box failed to find the ball, and instead, found the face of an Enloe defender. Wiredu had no ill intent; he had no desire to hurt anyone, but his actions were in the wrong place.

So the Caps were down a man, down a goal, and things weren't looking good. Enloe was well coached, they kept their shape, and maintained a fair amount of possession. But they didn't score again. In fact, Broughton seemed to get stronger as the match wore on. Ten minutes into the second half, a bit of magic happened, when Esteban Salinas Noyolas's long throw-in found the head of freshman Lucas Beeson in the box, and the ball found the back of the net. Tie game.

Enloe continued to maintain possession, making the Caps play a game of chase, wearing down Broughton. But Coach Nick Wheeler substituted more liberally this game, giving key players rests. And the defense held tight, with the human perpetual motion machine, Hyu A, anchoring the back line. And even though they were a man down, Broughton got off more shots and better shots than Enloe.

Overtime brought more of the same. Close chances, but no goals.

Broughton soccer stars, past and present, were in the house on Alumni Night.

And magic reappeared. With 11.9 seconds to go in the game. Senior Ibrahim Mohamud, who has been on a scoring tear of late, was taken down in the box. The center referee initially waved it off, but when checked with his assistant, he pointed to the spot. Mohamud calmly scored the penalty, the fans, including a lot of soccer alumni, roared, and the game was over. An unexpected, but hard-fought and well-earned win for the Caps, because of heart and determination.

With the win, Broughton moved back into first place in the Cap 8, a half game ahead of Heritage, at 6-2. Their overall record improved to 10-5.

The Caps next play Leesville Road on Monday at home, where they will try to avenge an earlier loss. Kick-off is at 6:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment