Broughton wrestling went 2-1 this week to cap off the regular season as the team heads into the post season. Last week at Enloe, the Caps pulled out the victory with a dramatic pin in the very last match of the dual. Junior Jasper Lassiter, giving up around 60 lbs. in the 285lb weight class reversed his opponent, stuck him for the pin, and sealed a winning record in the Cap 8 conference regular season. The N&O wrote about the win here.
On Wednesday night, Broughton honored senior Jack Elliott as well as former Captain Lamont Burt who tragically passed away over the summer. After a hard-fought loss to Cap 8 rival Heritage, the Caps came out inspired for their second match of the evening versus West Johnston coached by former Broughton assistant coach, Charles Blumell. Head Coach Stan Chambers and his staff apparently lit a fire under the boys as they competed with passion in their last home match of the season. The Caps trounced the Wildcats 47-28 to finish the dual season 4-3 in the Cap 8 and 10-8 overall.
- As a rookie to the sport, Dominick Ashford (120 lbs) finished the regular varsity season with a winning record.
- Soph. Nic Valdespino (126 lbs) went 3-0 running his record to 29-4.
- Senior Jack Elliott (132 lbs) picked up his 11th win on the year.
- Soph. Patrick Maxwell (145/152lb) picked up his 10th win on the year.
- Soph. Nash Philbeck (145 lbs) went 3-0 with three pins to run his record to 25-5.
- Soph. Christian Hite (170 lbs) won his 20th match on the year.
- Jr. Andrew Maxwell (182 lbs) won two matches this week and got his 13th season victory.
- Jr. Jasper Lassiter (220 lbs.) won two matches including the dramatic pin vs. Enloe.
The Caps will compete in the Cap 8 conference individual tournament this weekend at Sanderson and then the 4A Mideast Regional with those who qualify on February 12-13 at Cary.
Broughton Wrestling after winning
Southern Durham "Throwdown" tournament