blank'/> Broughton Sports Update: Broughton and Millbrook play to a draw

Monday, March 21, 2016

Broughton and Millbrook play to a draw

Broughton and Millbrook battled into overtime Monday night, but settled for a 3-3 tie in the first home conference game of the season for the Lady Caps soccer team.

The Wildcats had Broughton on its heels to start the game, earning a couple of corner kicks before finally scoring the game's first goal about midway through the first half. Broughton's back line - seniors Lily Highsmith and Kelly Ann Evans, sophomore Lucy Krueger, freshman Ava Neijna and a rotating cast at holding mid - fended off multiple attacks by the Wildcats.

The Lady Caps eventually started to put some heat on the Millbrook defenders, and senior Emma Willard's aggressive attack in the 26th minute led to a great goal from the right side when she caught the Millbrook keeper out of position. Willard just missed on another scoring opportunity a few minutes later, and the score was tied at 1-1 going into the half.

Millbrook was the aggressor for much of the second half, but Broughton's defense managed to keep the Caps in the game. In the 51st minute, Highsmith made a great defensive stop when she chased down a Millbrook attacker on a breakaway before she could get a shot off. Over the next several minutes, senior keeper Eliza Taylor made a nice save on a Millbrook shot, junior Zoe Neijna broke up a Millbrook short corner attempt and senior Sarah Grace Lasso got her head on another Millbrook corner to clear the ball.

The Wildcats finally managed to reclaim the lead with a goal in the 67th minute. But their lead didn't last long, as sophomore Meredith Brown hit a beauty of a shot from about 20 yards out a couple of minutes later that bounced off the left post and into the goal past the diving Millbrook keeper.

Both teams had scoring chances in the final seven minutes, but regulation time ended in a 2-2 tie.

After neither team managed to score in the first overtime period, senior Lily Schneider put the Caps ahead for the first time when she buried a shot into the upper left corner of the goal about a minute into the second overtime period. Sophomore Abby Manring assisted on the goal.

A few minutes later, Millbrook managed to put one last goal on the scoreboard. Taylor scrambled to make a save in the game's final seconds to prevent what would have been the winning goal, as the game ended in a 3-3 tie.

Earlier, the Broughton junior varsity team kept its undefeated season alive with a scoreless tie against Millbrook.

No comments:

Post a Comment