blank'/> Broughton Sports Update: Caps Fight Hard in Home Loss to Gibbons

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Caps Fight Hard in Home Loss to Gibbons

The Caps hosted Cardinal Gibbons last Friday night in a game that featured two future members of the revised Cap-8. The Crusaders posed a daunting task for Broughton as they came into the game with a 3-0 record and one of the most productive offenses in the area. Meanwhile, the Caps were looking to bounce back from their first loss of the season to Eastern Guilford during the previous week.

Cardinal Gibbons came out of the gates hot with a 71-yard touchdown pass on the third play from scrimmage. The Caps needed a big play to flip the momentum, and they got that later in the first quarter from Tobin Petrie in the form of a 60-yard interception return for a touchdown. Cardinal Gibbons scored on another long touchdown pass to close out the first quarter. Explosive plays hurt the Caps in the first quarter as Gibbons gained most of their yards on their two scoring plays. The Caps' defense continued to grind out stops as their offense stalled. Eventually, the Crusaders' rushing attack prevailed as they scored on a 1-yard run to push the score to 21-7 going into half.

Cardinal Gibbons ran a surprise onside kick on the first play of the second half, which caught the Caps off guard, leading to Crusaders possession. They strung together a strong drive on the ground that ended on a 15-yard rushing touchdown, which pushed their lead to 21. However, Broughton continued to fight back as they found some life on offense. They traded touchdowns twice with the Crusaders with Shadeek Hines and Devone Jackson scoring for Broughton, leading to a score of 42-20 early in the fourth quarter.

The defining moment of the game came early in the fourth when Senior quarterback Clifton Chavis went down for the Caps due to an apparent knee injury. Down 22 with less than a quarter to play, Sophomore Gordon Guest stepped into the game and led the Caps down the field on a drive that ended with a 40-yard run by fellow Sophomore, Deonte Washington. The Caps stopped the Gibbons offense on the following drive, and Broughton's offense scored quickly on a 68-yard, brother-to-brother pass from Devone Jackson to Tyair Smith. This score cut the Crusaders' lead to 10.

The Caps' run fizzled late as they were unable to retain possession on the next onside kick. Cardinal Gibbons was able to run the clock out and secure the victory, 42-32. Despite the loss, Coach Dawson and the rest of his staff were extremely proud of how the Caps fought back in the second half. He looks to see some of the same effort and execution on Friday, September 23rd when the Caps travel to take on reigning Cap-8 Champs, the Wake Forest Cougars. This will be their first conference game, and they have a bye week this week to prepare for the Cougars and the rest of their conference slate.

No comments:

Post a Comment