blank'/> Broughton Sports Update: JV Caps Manage Tie in Wake County Cup

Monday, September 26, 2016

JV Caps Manage Tie in Wake County Cup

In a sweltering hot one, the Caps just barely missed coming away with the W in the dying minutes of the game against the Apex Cougars. Even though the result was a little disappointing, it was still a thrilling game with a lot of contact and some heat-induced flares of emotion.

The game started fast with a few chances for either team but a few injuries for the Caps. The heat on the artificial turf was almost unbearable so Coach Parker had fresh legs coming in and out. Mid-way through the first half, the Caps had a defensive lapse that led to an open goal with only freshman defender Ivan Sanchez to stand in the way. Luckily, the pressure got to the Apex striker, and he hit it off the post. After that, the Caps had a few good shots from sophomore Max Lewis, freshman Ben Watson, and sophomore Logan Hunter had a volley that narrowly missed by mere inches.

Going into halftime, the team had some frustrations with the officiating and missed opportunities. With some rest and water they came out for the second half feeling like they could make something happen. The tide had definitely shifted with the Caps keeping much more possession and fending off any Cougar challenge. This pressure turned into multiple chances from the Caps with just as many amazing saves from the Apex keep, including a volley from sophomore Scott Rostick that was headed to the top right corner. Eventually the Cougars' defense became tired and tripped up freshman Alex Dunne in the box for a penalty. Max Lewis stepped up to take it and had his first attempt saved. Fortunately the Caps caught a break, because an Apex player entered the box before the kick was taken. Alex slotted his second attempt right down the middle to make it 1-0 with 15 minutes left. After this, the Caps played great defense, fending off the Cougars easily until a desperation corner in the last two minutes. The ball fell on the right side of the box, unchallenged, and was finished by Apex.

This demoralized the Caps and with no time remaining, they couldn't mount a good attack. The game ended tied at 1-1. After another tie, the Caps hope to have a better result on Monday, the first in a three-game "marathon" this week: Monday at Wakefield, Tuesday at home, and Wednesday away at Enloe.

No comments:

Post a Comment